Tuesday 24 May 2016

A son's tribute to his Mom


Below is Spencer’s tribute to his mom at her memorial Service, February 14, 2015:


First of all, I’d like to thank you all for coming this morning to celebrate the life of my mom.

Over the years, my mom had created an image that all moms should instill in their children. That image is how to be strong, optimistic, persevere, work hard and to be passionate in everything you do.  The passing of my mom has recently triggered many of the characteristics that she’s instilled in me.  The one characteristic that I want to focus on is passion. She has introduced me to an indescribable amount of passion for family, friends, work, and to her duty as a servant of God.  Her image has inspired me to be passionate and to care for my family, friends, and studies. Her strength, optimism and perseverance is what drives me to keep pursuing my studies through these difficult times and most of all she has taught me to always put others before myself.

Before my moms passing, I had never really thought of the memories that I’ve shared with my mom nor have I ever really thought about all of the things that she’s taught me or has done for me.  Ever since university began, a lot had been taken for granted and I was never around as much as I should have. Yet she was always there for me and put me before herself.  With her being sick in the hospital, I was around home a lot more than usual and it was then when I realized that I had lost touch with my mom.

So with that being said, one of the many memories that I’d like to share with you is very recent and it may have been one of the most meaningful memories that I’ve had with my mom.  As some of you may know, before things took a turn for the worse, her condition was stable and she was improving. It was during that time where she would always tell my dad and me to go home and there was one night just as we were about to leave, she said “hug me son, I love you”.  Right then, it hit me that she was always just there no matter what’s changed between her and me.  With that memory ingrained in me, everything came rushing back, all of the positive memories of our family vacations, to just coming home to her sitting on the couch watching TV with Scruffy or her staying up with me all night playing Spider Solitaire while I study.            

Even with all of these memories and teachings, she has left us far too soon. She had plenty more memories and teachings to share with my dad and me and in spite of recent events, all we can do now is to live for her. She would want us to be strong, persevere, and to live life with passion. Our lives are too short to do any less. We will miss you dearly and we will love you forever.

Goodbye for now, Mom.
Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment