Sunday 15 May 2016

How did I get here?

Have you ever wondered how  in the world you are where you are?  Do you even know where you are?  Or, how you even got to “here”.  You get in the car early in the morning, turn the ignition key on, drive out of your driveway and, before you know it, you find yourself at work instead of at your  Doctor’s morning  appointment.  You had driven in automatic mode without even realizing you had done so.

That’s how it is with life sometimes.  As I look back to even as early as last year this time. I wonder how I got “here”.  How did I end up planning to climb the tallest mountain in Africa, Mt. Kilimanjaro as well as supporting two charities, The Alzheimer Association of BC and The Down Syndrome Research Foundation.  It almost seems surreal.  Am I actually doing this? Yes, according to all the commitments made to date, the fund raising commitments to the two charities, the training schedule, local hikes planned, the coordination with the other Kilimanjaro climbers, etc, etc.

Yes, it’s really happening.  To get the full story of why my son and I are doing this you will have to click on  my Blog profile page to the right.  I’ve created this blog so that you will follow my journey  right from the planning stage all the way counting down to when we hit the bottom of the mountain and start ascending to the Roof Top of Africa and a final descent down.

Along the way other past Kilimanjaro climbers will be profiled as well as stories of the struggles, the  triumphs of people dealing with Dementia/Alzheimer disease and down syndrome condition.  I hope the upcoming stories will encourage you to take up your own “Summit Challenge” and strive to come out on top. It is nothing but exhilarating  as you reach the top of your challenge and conquer it. I have felt this on a lot of Saturday mornings as I reach the top of the Grouse Grind without seeing much of the trail  and following my faithful guides for the past five plus years.

Isn’t the Grouse Grind enough you may ask? Why climb mount Kilimanjaro? Again, click on my Blog profile to get the full story.  The summit of Mount Kilimanjaro is called The Rooftop of Africa and Spencer and I are going there! Check out the documentary video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNE25uHYxf8.
Follow our journey as we begin this Summit Challenge adventure…

Bill   (The Blind  Guy who thinks he can see). And  Spencer (The Guide)

No comments:

Post a Comment