Sunday 4 September 2016

The Answer Company’s Blind Hike Fund Raising Event


Date: July 14, 2016
Location:   ByrneCreek Trail
Weather:  Hot

The Answer Company’s Blind Hike fund raising event was just cool beyond words.  For those who were able to participate it opened a small window into the visually impaired world.


"I feel lost."

"I feel unbalanced."

"I can't figure out where to put my foot"

"Is it flat or rocky ahead?"

"I don't like this. I have to take off this blindfold, feeling closed in."

"Where are you leading me? Are you sure you're leading me in the right direction?"

"Oops, I almost hit that rock."

 
The above were just a few experiences of   the blindfolded hikers lead by a visual guide.  think for a moment, if you will, that you were..
- not able to take off the blindfold
- no one available to guide you across a six lane crossing (you can somewhat survive in North America, try crossing  a street in places like Beijing, Calcutta, etc)

-paying for groceries with a $10 bill thinking it's a $20 and unsure of the change you got back (a double whammy)
- eating off of someone else's plate by mistake

etc, etc...


Kudos to all the guides as well. No one ended up injured or with any mishaps.

When leading a V.I.P.  (Visually Impaired person) one has to be very precise, detailed  and alert to the surrounding environment.  "Watch out for the drop off on the right." works well for someone who can see. The V.I.P. will need to know whether the drop off is 1 foot to the right of the trail or two feet or three feet and how big of a drop is it, etc.

The bottom line:   It's a team effort in order to  make it from one end of the  trail to the other end without mishaps and communication is vital.

I have found this to be so true in all areas of life. We need to pull together to have the best outcome in whatever we are doing. Especially when climbing   a mountain like Kilimanjaro.  Constant teamwork and communication is required to avoid dangers and mishaps in the attempt to summit.

Again, thank you to The Answer Company for putting on this unique fund raising event.
.
Cheers,

Bill

 

No comments:

Post a Comment